Tuesday, May 02, 2006

The boy is back in town

I finally sent my dissertation off last week! In the end I was really pleased with it and thought it was pretty good. If you are interested in “How does economic evaluation influence the commissioning of local health services”! Let me know and I’ll send you a copy. I cannot imagine there will be a rush to read this but hopefully it will make the grade for me to pass my MSc. I should hear in the next few weeks what my supervisor thinks of it.

It has been wonderful to have the weight of the MSc lifted from my shoulders. We spent our first free weekend outside, clearing the garden, re-potting plants and buying a patio heater. It was great to spend the evening drinking wine, playing backgammon and not feeling guilty that I should be working.

The bank holiday weekend has been pretty busy too. We finally got a round to sorting out the hundreds of boxes in the loft that have been there since we moved in 3 years ago. Lots of rubbish and a huge pile for ebay. Recent ebay sales have paid for a new dining room carpet and the next batch should go a long way towards some electrical work and a new kitchen floor. On Sunday evening we went to see Morrissey at the Sage Gateshead. It was a great gig, with some tracks off his last album and a few knew ones from Ring Leader of the Tormentors. He also played Still Ill, Girlfriend in a coma, and finished with How Soon is Now. There was no encore which was a little disappointing and I think that it is the first gig I have been to were people were booing because the artist didn’t come back on. Obviously not everyone enjoyed it as much as we did – one lad said, “I could have bought a new pair of jeans for the price of the ticket!”



Yesterday we went to Wallsend to the Swan Hunter shipyard for the Pet Shop Boys composed soundtrack to Battleship Potemkin. It was a pretty crap evening all in all. The gates opened at 6pm for a 8.30pm start and the publicity promised entertainment while you waited. We did get there until about 7.45pm and then stood in the freezing cold with 10,000 people until the show finally started at 9.30pm. No explanation, apology or real introduction. By this time we were freezing cold with stiff legs and soon headed off for a cup of hot Bovril. After a further ten minutes we decided to sack the whole thing. It was a real shame for Newcastle that this wasn’t better organised. The shipyard made a great venue and the concept was unusual, it just didn’t work. Lots of people were leaving when we did and I don’t know how many were left at the end.



It is has been strange not posting or catching up on blogs for the last few weeks and I did toy with not starting up again, but realised I do enjoy blogging, even if it ids just for my own personal record. I am hoping to start a new site over the next few months, incorporating the blog, but I have got to get to groups with net fusion first.