Friday, August 12, 2005

Zen and the art of report writing

I haven't really had the time or the inclination to post over the last week. This is mainly as we spent most of last weekend at my partner's parents and the hospital, following his father having a heart attack. He is at home now and well after having an angiogram identifying a narrowed artery and then an angioplasty to insert a stent. It was a real shock for everyone and it does make you stop and think about your life.



My partner's father, who is in his mid sixties, has never smoked, doesn't drink a lot and has a pretty healthy diet with soya-this and organic-that. Even more surprising he has always been very active, including teaching martial arts at least 3 times a week. You would have thought he was one of the least likely people to have a heart attack. He is at home now and under orders to take things easy, but that will be the hard part. I don't think I could switch form having a busy and active life to suiting quietly in the garden. The trick is to find the right balance, which he will need to do with the cardiac rehabilitation team and his family over the next few weeks.

I have certainly tried to learn a lesson and have managed to keep my stress levels lower this week by having a more Zen like approach to life. Obviously, this is an incremental process, but I have combined Buddhism and corporate sport into the Nike 'Just Do IT' logo. So, if there is an important report waiting causing stress – just do it. If I can remove an obstacle to serenity, it is easier to just do it. We'll see how long this approach lasts!



I have been more worried about my partner and his family worrying themselves to distraction. We will be over there again this weekend to see how things are.