Monday, July 04, 2005

Where did the weekend go?

Another weekend has gone in the blink of an eye and it is time for the working week again. I was on-call on Friday night. For the first time I didn’t get any calls. Nevertheless, we stayed in and I wasn’t allowed a Friday night drink in case I needed to go out. Calls are usually about finding a bed for a patient, patients gone AWOL etc. Usually, easy to sort out, but a pain if the call is at 3 am. Although I didn’t gat a call I was in standby mode waiting for one, which doesn’t make for a relaxing time.

On Saturday we did a few jobs around the house, but spent most of the day watching the Live8 concert. The added pleasure of a few cold beers added to the fun. I think the event was a great success, although there was very little about the cause behind it compared to the messages of Live Aid. I suppose, as all the performers said, it is really up to Blair et al. I believe Bush is budging on the aid issue, but is still being a twat about Kyoto and global warming.

On Sunday we visited some friends who have moved out to the country. They have bought a little house in a village in Northumberland, with a great garden and all the quaintness of a Little Britain village. I think they will be very happy there. I love the idea of living in the country, but it usually involves a medieval castle and lots of servants. The schlep into town everyday and the (relatively) slow pace of life is not what I would want now. Our friends are expecting a baby in 3 months, so maybe that was the driving impetus. I can see that it would be a great place to bring up kids.