Monday, May 09, 2005

All Change

A usual, following the General Election, there has been a reshuffle of the cabinet. Geoff Hoon leaves defence to become the Lord Privy Seal and Leader of the House of Commons. I know what the Leader of the House does, but I had never heard of the Lord Privy Seal Apparently, this is one of the traditional sinecure offices in the British Cabinet. Originally, its holder was responsible for the monarch's personal ("privy") seal (as opposed to the Great Seal of state, which is in the care of the Lord Chancellor). [I love that the definiton of sinecure is "A position or office that requires little or no work but provides a salary", I will be looking for sinecure jobs from now on!]

John Reid takes over in Defence, which leaves Health free. Patricia Hewitt has taken this on this role, coming from the DTI. As I work in the NHS, I am interested in her approach. She spent several years at Liberty (I am assuming that this refers to the human rights organisation and not the department store), which is encouraging and has done a lot to promote work life balance while at the DTI, so I am hoping she will be fair in this role. Tony Blair also promised a reduction in targets during the election, so I will be seeing if that promise is kept.