Monday, April 18, 2005

How Should I vote?

Thanks to Razorhead for pointing me towards this site. The site analyses your views on a range of issue: taxation, health, education etc and assesses how the main parties policies match these. I was surprised that the Green Party is most aligned with my views. Happily, the Tories and UKIP are not recommended choices for me.

I am still a member of the Labour party and while not happy with everything the party has done I have seen progress on social issues (e.g. Sure Start, minimum wage etc), gay rights (repeal Section 28, Civil Partnerships, anti-discriminatory policies), and unprecedented investment in the NHS (with real reductions in waiting list sizes and waiting times and more investment in mental health services.) Of course, there is still Iraq and the buddying up with President Bush, but none of the other parties seem like a viable opposition at the moment.

Who should I vote for?

Your expected outcome:

Labour

Your actual outcome:



Labour 6
Conservative -23
Liberal Democrat 36
UK Independence Party -9
Green 46


You should vote: Green

The Green Party, which is of course strong on environmental issues, takes a strong position on welfare issues, but was firmly against the war in Iraq. Other key concerns are cannabis, where the party takes a liberal line, and foxhunting, which unsurprisingly the Greens are firmly against.

Take the test at Who Should You Vote For