Thursday, January 27, 2005

Uncle Buck

Today I became an uncle! My brother’s partner gave birth to a healthy baby girl at 00.01 this morning. She was 11 days overdue and weighed 7 lbs 8 oz. Both grandmas were there for the birth and it sounds like it was an emotional time for everyone. We are hoping to see the baby and the proud parents ion the next few weeks. I think there will be a whole stream of visitors at the moment and we need to find a few days to travel down to Manchester and see them.

It is very exciting – this is the first uncle experience for my partner and me and we are working on the favourite uncle status already. My boyfriend has bought all today’s newspapers and is buying the top ten singles as a souvenir for her 18th birthday. I am investigating premium bonds and savings accounts towards her university education. (I haven’t decided whether she should be a palaeontologist or a dentist yet).

I was tempted to invest in this shirt – but maybe it is a little over the top?!




Given my surname I have already been christened Uncle Buck, which is pretty cool – although I am not sure I can live up to the standards set by John Candy. Mark has written a lot about the joys of his nephews and nieces, so expect many postings about baby toes and fingers, dribbling and 'cute' stories.