Thursday, July 22, 2004

Movin' on up, movin' on out - nothing can stop me!

Well – the job I wanted has finally been advertised. It has only gone in the local papers and internal websites, so hopefully there will be very few applicants. The closing date is August 6, so I have got some time to prepare a good application form and think more broadly about how to approach the interview.

The director has made it clear that she wants me to apply and that there isn’t anyone currently in the organisation who she thinks is suitable for the job. This doesn’t stop a rogue external candidate with the right skills and experience performing better at interview, but it does give me some confidence. I still need to perform well in the interview and be sure that I sell myself to the panel. Looking at the job and person specifications I think that I have everything they are looking for and as I have previously worked in the organisation I should be able to pick things up fairly quickly.

It looks like the interviews could be the week before we go to Cuba, so at least I can celebrate while I am away or take the time to reflect if I am unsuccessful.

I have to give 3 months notice in my current job, so if I am successful I may not start until mid or late November. I understand why the notice period is 3 months in terms of closing down or handing over current projects, but it is hard to stay motivated for that long when you know you are going. I haven’t mentioned it to my boss yet, and I only will when I know that I have been asked to attend an interview. Another member of the department announced she was leaving last week and I am currently writing a reference for my secretary who has been offered a job with more responsibility and money elsewhere. I don’t think that it is a particular reflection on the department, more on the general leadership style and culture within the organisation.

Anyway, this is all a way off. I haven’t even completed the application form yet – keep your fingers crossed for me!